Sunday, March 31, 2013

Third post- reflections on GT and FOP

Hi readers! My post today will be my reflections on my Group Training (GT) and FOP.

I had my GT about a month ago, just after the Chinese New Year holiday. I remember I was quite stressed over my GT presentation during visiting HAHA. My group members were Kee Yee and Wei Ni, despite being a 3 women team (we were short of one member), I think we did a great job as a team :) we would meet twice a week after class just to finalize our content, which I think was pretty well done based on the feedback given by the class.

On our presentation day, all 3 of us were dressed very professionally in black and white with lanyards! :) I do admit that I was a little nervous during my presentation, as some could tell, as afterall it was our first proper presentation for ES2002! I also thought at I was quite stiff during my presentation without much hand gestures. Based on the feedback given to me by the class, most of them said that I was a little shaky at the start, probably because I was nervous. (I forgot to do some power poses before my presentation :( ) They also said that it was quite obvious that I had memorized a script as I was just going on and on with little pauses, and my hand gestures were constrained within a small box. However, they said that my tone variation and eye contact was okay :)

Fast forwarding to my FOP, which was on Last Monday, I felt that I was much more prepared this time round. All of us had to do a report write-up on our individual issues, which I think made us more familiar with the content and thus easier for us to internalize the content required for our presentation. I started rehearsing for my FOP about a week before the actual presentation and I made sure I worked on my weaknesses as pointed out by my classmates during the GT. Also this time, I tried not to memorise from a script as it would make my presentation seem unnatural, which is not what we want to achieve out of a presentation. We had a presentation after our presentation, and the feedback given to me was much more positive this time round and all of the presenters also made improvements :) Basically, they said that even though I was confident during my presentation, I was not as natural and convincing as I should be! However, they also said that my content was well organized and my recommendations were well substantiated :) I personally feel that being natural and convincing during a presentation are one of the more difficult skills to master, as compared to hand gestures and eye contact etc. However, that does not mean that I should not try! As Wayne Gretzky said, "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take". So we should never stop trying! Lets keep all these in mind, learn from one another and work hard for the last lap :)

1 comment:

  1. I really like this post, Chloe. You reflect on your two presentations with clarity of thought and expression. It's great that you took the initiative to contrast your GT and the FOP experience. I also like the positive tone about learning, with the finishing touch the Gretzky quote.

    You made fine improvement from the GT to the FOP. Thanks for your effort!

    ReplyDelete